Supplements may help reduce cancer risk through five key pathways:
- Boost immune system function.
- Reduce inflammation.
- Improve insulin sensitivity.
- Support digestion and detoxification.
- Reduce stress-induced hormone imbalances.
It is important to determine that a particular supplement is appropriate for your particular condition and that the dosage and specific brand is appropriate as well.
Typical supplements include but are not limited to:
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Green tea catechin
- Resveratrol, which has been postulated to prevent breast cancer by activating tumor suppressor genes and increasing the rate of apoptosis (normal programmed cell death)
- Coenzyme Q10
- Vitamin D